Sunday, January 10, 2010

Let them eat cake!

So as I mentioned the other day, I was highly anticipating my Mom coming for a visit this weekend.  Her birthday is Tuesday this week, so Adam and I gave her an early birthday celebration.

For her birthday, I baked a cake!!  Not just any cake.  I baked a three layer fluffly, yet crummy buttermilk cake, loaded with macadamia nuts.  Between those layers was a raspberry filling, and the whole package was covered in a velvety white chocolate buttercream frosting!!!  Something like this one here.  Except I cheated, and bought my buttercream frosting and added melted white chocolate to it instead, because there's this cake decorating place in Fort Wayne (which my lead to more vices).  And lemon leaves are hard to find around here.  Maybe if I lived in Florida??  Probably not though.  But I decorated my cake a little differently.




My Mom loved her cake!!  Along with the dinner we made her as well (Sticky Orange-Balsamic Glazed Chicken & Lemon Risotto).  After church, bread & dipping oil, a glass of wine, dinner & dessert, we were all pretty miserable........by miserable, I mean stuffed beyond all belief.  So we spent the rest of the evening listening to jazz, drinking tea and watching Mom open her birthday gifts.  It was a great time! :)

While mom and I were in the kitchen, I asked Adam to take some pictures of the cake for the blog.  This is what he came up with.  I love it!



On a side note, it's a busy week, getting ready for Petoskey and the big ski trip.  And I have a few things planned to make to bring up with us, as treats for the evenings.  Hopefully I'll have enough time to get pictures of them for the blog.

1 comment:

mom said...

A big THANKS again for a wonderful weekend!:) Heard you mention about pics for your blog--didn't think they would include me! (You know me and pics!)Had an early lunch and a bit of cake. Still delicious!!Have a fun and safe trip.