Thursday, January 28, 2010

So sad.....

So, this is what's left of the church I grew up in.  It's such a sad sight.  I want to share how much it meant to my family and myself, but I'm kind of at a loss of words to describe it.  Great-Great Grandparents Bernard & Katherine names were on the stained glass windows, Grandma Mary & Grandpa Walter were both highly regarded for their involvement in the church, Mom was a lectern along with an organist (since middle school, and the priest told her she was going to do it) and I was an mass server and occassionally "lecterned" as well.  St. Isadore (the farmer) Catholic Church was a small little sister parish to St. Michael's just down the road.  We shared a priest (sometimes two).  And were very much self sufficient due to the help of all the parishioners.  But alas, the Toledo Diocese decided that it must be closed.  What the true reasons are, we will probably never know.  It was definitely thought to be a "scandel".  After almost 5 years sitting vacant, the diocese decided that they had to finally demo it.  My mom got these pictures the first day of it, which was just after Christmas.  But there's so much more I could go on about with this, but I won't.  The picture itself probably speaks more words than I ever could.

You can kind of see my favorite part of the church peaking through.  On the back wall, up above the choir loft, was a huge, circular stained glass window, in shades of red, blue, pinks and yellows.

1 comment:

Tiger Fan said...

That picture leaves a sick feeling in my heart. That picture needs to be in the Blade so all of us in the Toledo Diocese can see what is happening. We were taught that the Church is a Sacred building so how can they do this! What is going to happen to the stained glass window? Please say it will be saved.