Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's about time!

I begged. I pleaded. And finally I got it in writing. Yep, that's right. Mom finally, after much convincing, put down the basics to her Potato Soup in an email. Although Sunday's temperature didn't feel very fall-ish on Adam and I's adventure out, it looked of Autumn through and through. I couldn't manage my cravings anymore. So Sunday's dinner was pure home-cooking. Here's the basics. Its a rough recipe, as Mom told me she never made it the same way twice, but my version tasted of home, so I call it a success.

Ingredients:
olive oil
6-8 potatoes (depending on size) - cleaned and cut in bite-size cubes - peelings optional
onion and celery - you know, a few slices and a few stalks - again cut bite-size
1 sm carrot - grated
ham - bite-sized, use however much you want, what's important is that it has great smokey flavor
2 "boxes" chicken stock - the smaller size ones
1 can evaporated milk
Directions:
Heat a big soup pot and heat up a swirl of olive oil. Toss in the onion and celery and let it cook for a little while. Until it's began to get that golden hue. Add stock to pot and bring to boil. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender. Add carrot and ham and continue to simmer. Add the evaporated milk to help thicken. (Or, you can try mashing some of the potatoes, or using a rue, or even the cold starch/cold water method, all of which have been tested by my mom).

That's pretty much the jist of it. It's a piece of cake to make, and pretty much a no-brainer. I don't think this picture is the best representation of the soup, but you get the idea.
And look, even Adam liked it!!

I recommend you try it for yourself!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so good I can almost smell it!! Told you it wasn't hard to make--easier then writing it out!!
Left-overs are even better. Next time you're home you can make another batch! Love ya - miss ya

Tiger Fan said...

Yum!! I have printed out both this recipe and the Autumn chili and am going grocery shopping after work today. Soup is my favorite dinner so keep the recipes coming. I hope Adam is doing the dishes after all your good cooking.

Diane in Nashville said...

It looks wonderful and I'm going to try it too !!! :)

Diane in Nashville said...

I made this soup today but instead of ham, I cooked up 3 lean slices of bacon then sauted the onions and celery in the very little bit of grease ( I did have to add a little bit of EVOO). I made bread sticks. What a wonderful versital soup on a chilly and cloudy day. Thanks for the recipe! I hope to see you and Adam at Grandma Gross' house on Thanksgiving! :)

Tiger Fan said...

Today I finally made this soup and we both loved it!! Perfect for a cold winter day. I used bacon instead of ham because that is what I had on hand. And the best part---enough leftover for tomorrows meal too!